Maryland Wear and Carry
Before you may legally wear and carry a regulated firearm, you must possess and maintain on your person the MSP-issued Handgun Wear and Carry Permit. Submission of the application does not authorize you to wear, carry, or transport a handgun.
Training must be successfully completed prior to submitting the application, unless you are exempt from training. Please click here for information on Wear and Carry Permit Training
Who Should Apply?
Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:
- An applicant between 18 and 21 years of age may only be issued a wear and carry permit to possess a regulated firearm required for employment. - P.S. 5-133 (d)(2)(v)
- Has not been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor for which a sentence of imprisonment for more than one year has been imposed; or convicted of a criminal offense for which you could have been sentenced to more than 2 years incarceration.
- Has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;
- Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless under legitimate medical direction;
- Based on an investigation, has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or others;
- Has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.
- As of October 1, 2013, has successfully completed the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course within 2 years prior to submitting the original or renewal application.
How To Apply
As of October 1, 2013, all new, renewal, and subsequent applicants must successfully complete required firearms training, within 2 years, prior to submitting the application.
As of October 1, 2019, all Wear and Carry permit applications (original, renewal and subsequent) and requests (modification and replacement) must be submitted online in the Licensing Portal. All documentation requirements and any clarifications you feel may assist investigators in processing your applications must be uploaded and electronically attached to the application in the Licensing Portal. You may access the Licensing Portal by clicking the link below:
The minimum documentation required for the acceptance of the Wear and Carry permit application are:
- Color passport-size photograph
- Electronic fingerprint transmission receipt
- Certificate of Handgun Training or documentation of exemption
Please allow 90 days for completion of the application process.
For further guidance in regard to submitting a Wear and Carry permit application or request please refer to the Wear and Carry Portal Users Guide.
How Much Does It Cost?
Fees must be paid by check or money order made payable to the Maryland State Police. Checks must be drawn on active accounts with sufficient funds. If the check is returned for insufficient funds or due to a closed account, the applicant will be required to pay for future requests of the Licensing Division by cashier’s check or money order.
Original/Initial – $75.00 – Fingerprint Fees not included
Renewal – $50.00 – Fingerprints No Longer Required
Subsequent – $50.00 – Fingerprint Fees not included
Replacement/Modification – $10.00 – Fingerprints not required
Active/Retired Law Enforcement Officers of this State or a County/Municipality (PS 5-304) – $0.00
Where to Mail Application Payment
Maryland State Police
1111 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
ATTN: Handgun Permit Unit
Please ensure all payments have the application number and applicant name printed clearly. Attach payment to the email generated by the Licensing Portal at the time of application submission.